April 17, 2011

Hutch transformation

I found this hutch for FREE on craigslist!  It wasn't the best looking thing, but I knew it had potential.  These are the steps I took to achieve this look

1. I started off by sanding it down with fine sandpaper, just to rough it up a bit
2. I sprayed it with Kilz primer
3. I did another fine sand to get a smooth finish
4. I sprayed it with Ivory colored Krylon spray paint (All Things Thrifty has a great tutorial on spray painting technique)
5. I decided that I did not want it white, so I spray painted over it with a blackish brown color (can't remember the name of it at the moment)
6. With a fine grit sandpaper, I lightly sanded the flat surfaces, and the edges until I got the desired amount of wear
7. i sprayed the knobs with the black/brown color, let the dry, then painted over them with the Ivory, let that dry, then I lightly sanded over the knobs to give them a worn look as well.
8. I sealed it with a gloss lacquer.

Here are some before and after shots







I will get better pictures posted soon, but these were the only ones I could find at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment