April 17, 2011

Decorative Balls

As a weekend project, I bought some styrofoam balls and made them into decorative balls.  These are so easy to make, and cost soo much less than the ones you buy at the store.  The 6 styrofoam balls were around $5, and the rest of the stuff that I used was stuff that I already had at my house.

The first ball was made out of branches from a bush in my back yard.  I cut a bunch of the branches from the bush, took all of the leaves off, and got to work.  For the first pieces, i attached each end to the ball with a straight pin.  Once you have enough branches on the ball, you can just start weaving the remaining branches into the ones that are attached.  Also, as you can see in the picture, there is some white showing through, so you may want to cover the ball with natural colored coffee filters, or something along those lines, or you can just add a lot more branches until it is totally covered.  I was too anxious to get started, so I didn't do this :)


For the next ball, I had some fake flowers, and just hot glued them all over the ball until it was completely covered.


Next, I had some fake leaf/thick grass looking stuff, and pinned this so the ball at each end.  I continued to pin each piece until the ball was completely covered.


The next ball, I covered in lace.  I had gotten a bunch of strips of lace at an estate sale, and just wrapped the entire ball in it.  Once the ball was covered, I used a straight pin to secure it (I also used a straight pin at the beginning).


For the last ball, I sprayed it with an adhesive spray (I used an elmers glue spray, which is super sticky!) and I sprinkled it with glitter. Once it is dry, you may want to spray it again with the adhesive spray to prevent too much glitter from rubbing off, or you could spray it with a clear lacquer (I'm not exactly sure how well this would work, since I didn't try it, but I imagine it would work pretty well).


So, here is the group.  I still haven't figured out what I want to do with ball #6, but I'm not in a hurry.  Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment