July 6, 2011

Decorating a mantle

Lately I have been trying to change up the look of my mantle in my living room. I have probably changed it at least 5 times in the last 5 days, and it just never seems quite up to par. I have been looking online for some fun ideas, and wanted to share some of my favorites.
I love this mantle from The Nester. It is so simple, but to be completely honest, I may be more in love with the detail on the front of the mantle. I do love the look though. There are some great tips on there about decorating your mantle, so I will share them with you here.

1. Scale–you want big stuff, you want small stuff, you want medium stuff
2. Layering–don’t be afraid to put stuff in front of other stuff
3. Height Variations–make sure you have tall stuff and short stuff
4. Texture–shiny, smooth, rough, glass, wood, soft, sharp? I can’t think of any more textures but you get the idea
5. Color–consider repeating the same color a few times
6. Natural–try to add in one thing from nature
7. Meaningful–kid made pottery, a grandma’s silver rattle, quirky photo, framed letter

I am super envious of this awesome mantle that I found on one of my favorite blogs, The Lettered Cottage. They did a mantle mania, and there are so many fab ideas on there. I will share some of my favorites.




I must say that this last one is my favorite! I actually drooled on my shirt a little...ok, not really, but I do love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment