May 14, 2011

Awesome Garage Sale Trunk

This last weekend, while checking out some garage sales, I found this awesome trunk.  I envision this being a toy chest for one of my children's rooms, but as of now it is in the entryway waiting to get it's insides upholstered :)

This is the trunk as it was when I bought it.




There was rust running down the sides, blue paint peeling off of it, and it was just kinda ugly. I first had to sand her down to remove the peeling paint, and get the surface roughed up for priming.  Then I put on a few coats of Primer.

Here she is after a coat of primer.  Keep in mind, there were a few more coats after this one.

After the primer (I use Krylon spray primer) had dried, I started painting (with Krylon Ivory Gloss spray paint) light coats of paint on her.  You will need to let each coat of paint dry before you begin the next coat.

Here she is after her paint had been applied



After the paint had dried completely, I got out my Valspar tintable glaze (that I have tinted with black) and brushed glaze into the creases, and detailed pieces, then wiped away the excess with a damp cloth until I had the desired amount.  As a note, it is better to start off with light coats.  You can always add more glaze if you would like a more dramatic look. I did one side at a time, that way I could quickly remove the glaze and not allow it to dry.

This is the finished result, after the sanding, priming, painting and glazing had all been finished.  I am very happy with the outcome of this piece.  If the hardware would have been removable, I probably would have opted to remove it, and paint it with a brushed bronze, but since it wasn't, and it had already been painted, I just painted right over the top of it.  If you wanted  to, you could tape off everything that wasn't metal, and spray the metal pieces with a metallic finish.



There are really great Painting Tutorials and Glazing Tutorials given by Brooke, over at All Things Thrifty, that are very easy to follow and are a great start for anyone wanting to learn some best practices for spray painting, and glazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment